A school’s guide to LED lighting
Discover the many benefits that energy-efficient LED lighting can bring to your school in the latest blog from Utility Rentals.
A well-lit classroom is central to an effective teaching and learning environment. As a result, lighting costs can put a hefty dent in a school’s budget.
According to a recent report by the Carbon Trust, “UK schools could reduce energy costs by around £44 million per year” which would also prevent a massive “625,000 tonnes of CO2 from entering the atmosphere”.
This article presents you with a handy guide to LED lighting and the many benefits it can offer.
What is LED lighting?
Light Emitting Diodes, or LEDs as they’re more commonly known, are seen as the future of lighting mainly because they consume very little energy and have a long life. Unlike regular energy-saving bulbs, they also brighten instantly as soon as you switch them on.
LEDs produce light through the use of a semi-conductor that emits light when electrical current passes through it.
Why is LED lighting a smart choice for schools?
LEDs offer many advantages over other types of bulbs, including:
- Energy-efficiency: LEDs use on average 60% less energy than fluorescent bulbs and can be paid for using the savings generated by switching
- Long lifespan: LEDs are extremely long-lasting, with a shelf life of up to an impressive 50,000 hours
- Reduced costs: LEDs can lower a typical school’s energy bill by as much as 70-90%
- Reduced maintenance: The long lifespan of LEDs means that lighting maintenance costs are reduced, e.g. LEDs require replacing on a much less regular basis than their traditional counterparts
- Better learning environment: LED lighting has been found to increase productivity and levels of mental alertness when compared with fluorescent or incandescent bulbs
- Improved concentration: Old-fashioned, flickering or humming fluorescent lighting can impact students’ concentration and prove an unwelcome distraction. LED lighting eliminates this irritation and helps students focus on the task in hand.
- Health and safety: Unlike fluorescent and high-intensity discharge (HID) bulbs, LEDs don’t contain mercury, so are safer for individuals and the environment when it comes to handling and disposal. Similarly, LEDs generate very little heat so reduce the risk of burns during maintenance.
How can I get LED lighting in my school?
LED lighting can generate significant cost savings for schools and the figures are there to demonstrate this! At Utility Rentals, we offer schools the opportunity to switch to LED lighting through our flexible rental agreements which have been specially designed for the education sector.
Rental periods can cover three or five years, and include:
- No upfront expenditure
- All installation and ongoing maintenance costs
- A parts warranty for the life of your rental agreement
- Flexible payment profiles – allowing you to make payments quarterly or annually, to suit your budget
- Fixed payment amounts for the term of the rental to protect you against inflation
This guide to LED lighting highlights just some of the benefits your school could gain by switching to this energy-efficient technology both in terms of budget and environmental impact.
To discover more about energy-efficient LED lighting solutions for your school, get in touch with our team of experts.