Using Apple Classroom for remote teaching
The impact of COVID-19 has transformed learning. We take a closer look at how schools can use Apple Classroom to support remote teaching in our latest blog.
With the backdrop of COVID-19, discovering new ways of teaching and learning has become the norm. In this article, we look at Microsoft’s Apple Classroom® app for iPads, its main features and how it can be used to teach students who are learning from home. So, let’s find out more!
What is Apple Classroom?
Microsoft describes Apple Classroom® as a “versatile teaching assistant that puts teachers in charge of every iPad and Mac in the classroom, so they can keep students on track”. The app is designed to work in conjunction with other classroom management apps like ‘Schoolwork’ which allows teachers to allocate assignments and monitor student progress.
How does Apple Classroom work?
Apple Classroom® enables teachers to have total control of their students’ technology and learning. It allows them to assign tasks like worksheets or activities, monitor students’ progress (as a group or individually), and work with their class in real-time.
One of the key apps Apple Classroom® is used alongside is Schoolwork. In this app, student assignments appear on their iPads organised by the date they’re due and by class. Schoolwork allows teachers to:
- Share class content with students
- Tap into and use other relevant apps with Handout (more on this below)
- Gain an overview of student progress
- Work with students directly and provide feedback in real time
- Adapt their teaching to suit student needs
Handout is a great function of Schoolwork as it allows teachers to incorporate activities from a range of useful educational apps into their teaching. To do this, you simply select the activity to share with students using the ‘Handout’ feature/function. The Handout then takes students straight to the activity with a single click, avoiding them wasting time searching for it! Teachers can also use Handout to deliver class reminders, assignments or announcements. They are simple to create, can be sent by email, and can include anything from web links to documents and PDFs, for example.
What are the benefits of Apple Classroom?
Apple Classroom® is a versatile app that allows teachers to manage their students’ work and technology efficiently and securely. Teaching and learning in a remote environment is not without challenges. Classroom can help navigate these by giving teachers a clear, real-time overview of progress, difficulties and extra support that students may need.
Some of its most useful features include:
- Easy to set up and configure by your school’s IT department if using mobile device management (MDM)
- Create classes manually without tech support (if not using MDM)
- Send and receive files with the whole class or individual students via AirDrop
- View any student’s screen on your device
- Mute individual or all students’ devices as required
- Student devices are automatically logged out when their class ends and their docs synched to the Cloud
If your school is finding remote teaching challenging, you might want to consider Apple Classroom®. Not only does it promote responsible digital behaviour, it’s also an effective way of boosting teacher confidence and control over your school’s iPads!
Would your school like to invest in new iPads to support remote and classroom learning? Contact our team to discuss our flexible leasing agreements.